Wednesday, December 3, 2008

A Sad Day...

Today, dear Elmo was laid to rest. After a long and bitter emotional struggle, it was decided by Elmo's caretakers and doctors that because he had been abandoned by his owner at such an old age (13), and at such a delicate and difficult time (he was diagnosed with diabetes as he came into the shelter), he was suffering both physically and mentally.

He doesn't have to be afraid or worried or alone anymore. Though I only knew him a short time, (and I feel a bit silly being as upset as I am), Elmo really made an impression on me and I know I will miss him and think of him for a long time.

I offered to sprinkle his ashes at Valley Forge Park, so he could chase squirrels and deer to his heart's content. We don't know what he liked especially, but I figured a place full of the spirits of the soldiers who died at Valley Forge would be the perfect place to send him - where he'll be surrounded by people and fun outdoorsy stuff.

I felt a bit weird offering my services in this regard (this, after all, isn't my cat and I didn't know him for very long), but I feel better having made the offer. The folks at the shelter are so kind to me - I have always appreciated their generosity of spirit.

I'm glad that Elmo was known and will be remembered by us. I'm not unexperienced at missing someone never truly known, so this feeling is not a new one. I hope you sleep well, Elmo.

1 comment:

Cakelet said...

Aw, Elmo. I'm always sad when an animal dies. Although, I think they're lucky that they can be put to sleep when they're suffering. Humans usually don't have that luxury. Sometimes, they have to suffer for years before they are released.
I'm sorry you lost your friend.