Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Weight Watchers: Week 3 Weigh-In (& More!)

So, the number after my third weigh-in is...::drumroll please::...

211.8!

Down another 2.4 pounds, for a total of 9.4. Not too bad, for two weeks of dieting. I know it's probably going to be a slow-and-steady type of race after this, but I'm happy that I am making such good progress. A friend of mine (very wisely) had a long discussion with me after my WW meeting yesterday, reminding me that healthy eating habits are a lifetime decision and I can't expect all my weight to slough off overnight - and it would come right back on, besides.

I feel a bit silly writing about weight loss when I just consumed 50 POINTS IN ONE MEAL. I get 28 per day. I'm rather ashamed, but honestly, I had small portions of everything I ate. It was a business dinner and my boss wanted me to 'have fun'...too bad I didn't have my Eating Out guide with me, or I would have only had 3 oz of beef (at 7 points!) instead of six. Let alone the rolls. Or the soda. Or the ice cream...

The long and short is that I have to be good for the rest of the week. It's not like I suffer at all on 28 points per day. Soon, (hopefully!), I'll be going down to 27, so I need to be ready. I think a decadent dinner once in a while is okay - but only once in a while! I'm going to The Melting Pot with my sister on Saturday (she's coming to visit - YAY!!!), but I can still enjoy myself there without totally pigging out.

NEXT TOPIC: FranklinCovey!

So, the reason I went to a super-fancy (and fattening!) dinner tonight is because I am in New York City for the week for a sales strategy meeting and a FranklinCovey training course, which we had today. I've been using a FranklinCovey planning system for about a year and a half now - and while it has helped, I understand now that I was really only using it as a glorified to-do list, and there is so much more that I could accomplish in terms of time management.

I made a lot of professional and personal resolutions that I would really like to stick to - consider this another one of my resolutions for the year. (I should really update with my progress on all of those...perhaps this weekend!) However, we did a really great exercise today which was: Determining Your Governing Values.

Here are mine:
- Moderation
- Tranquility
- Order
- Resolution
- Sincerity
- Justice
- Generosity
- Gratitute
- Responsibility

We did this exercise as an echo of a personal exercise of Benjamin Franklin's. When he was 27 (only three years older than me!) , he sat down one night and wrote a list of governing values in his life. Every day, for the rest of his tenure on earth, he would go over those values and take stock of how he had or had not worked to achieve each of them. He wasn't going for perfection: just an effort towards it.

I find this terribly admirable, and think it to be an excellent exercise. So, with the nine values I have mentioned, I am going to try each day to better myself by following them. I'll let you know how it goes.

But tell me - what are YOUR governing values?

1 comment:

Cakelet said...

Wow -- good question! The more you think about it, the more governing values you can come up with. I like your list. My values are similar -- Gratitude, Respect, Awareness, Celebration, Exploration, Kindness, Patience. I guess I could just boil it down to living each day to the best of my ability -- being fully present. Showing up for my own life, and being available to people. I do a pretty good job most days. And when I fail, I forgive myself and move on. It's a pretty good system. :-)