Wednesday, February 11, 2009

WW Update

So, I avoided talking about WW last week because, due to my trip into NYC with our sales directors, I had gained 1.2 pounds. ::sob::

HOWEVER. There is a happy ending to this story. When I weighed in yesterday, it was with a 1.8 pound loss - bringing me to 10 pounds lost total! That is officially 5% of my body weight - I am halfway to my first goal of 10%!!! For me, this is really enormous. I don't think I've lost that much weight, intentionally (mono diet excluded, of course), ever. I've been steadily gaining weight since I was 16, with a major flareup over the past year. And for the longest time, I was really in denial that I was overweight.

But then, I saw a picture of myself that Sonny took...

And I realized that I can't be in denial anymore. Between that and my doctor (gently) suggesting that my cholesterol was a bit high earlier this year (I'M 24, FOR GOODNESS SAKE!!!), I know that I was, and continue to be overweight.

However. I really feel like Weight Watchers has given me a diet I can really follow and not feel totally deprived. I track EVERYTHING I eat, and even that act alone, (without including the actual dieting part), has made a huge impact on how I look at food. I used to drink fruit juice instead of water - ALL THE TIME. And soda? It was my lifeblood.

Since I started this diet, I get one, maybe two glasses of juice a day. I drink water the rest of the time. And instead of soda? Herbal teas. I used to drink just blank orange pekoe with LOADS of cream and sugar. Now, I'm being introduced to all sorts of gourmet teas (some courtesy of Harry Schwartz, whose blog is awesome...), and they're great. I don't really feel like I'm missing out.

And even more - when I DO treat myself to soda (which I have!), I really enjoy it. I don't just wolf it down, order another, and another and another... I really APPRECIATE the food I eat now. I don't just scarf until I feel so ridiculously full I can't take it. I can even turn food down - and I'm doing it more and more often, as I feel less hungry all the time.

I know a lot of my eating has to do with my emotions. And taking this step to say, "No, that sort of eating is unhealthy", has been amazing.

It's not always going to be fun and new and interesting to me. But I want to make a concerted effort to make this not just a diet - but a change in the way I eat. And I hope I'm off to a good start.

1 comment:

Cakelet said...

Ten pounds is huge. I haven't been able to lose ten pounds for years. Still trying, though. Because when I give up trying to lose weight. I gain it. Fast. And with no apparent upper limit. Stick with it. You're doing well. I like hearing people's struggles with this issue, because it's so damn important and it's so damn difficult!