Thursday, March 5, 2009

Handfasting

On Witchvox today there's a great article about handfasting (courtesty of author Zan Fraser), which covers this rather ancient rite from an Elizabethan perspective. As I usually equate handfasting with that wonderful scene from Braveheart (Mel Gibson, Huzzah!), it was interesting to consider it from the more rigid and (dare I say) 'civilized' Elizabethan version.

I would like to incorporate some version of handfasting in the ceremony my fiance and I have next May, but I want to keep it low key. This is not only because I don't want to upset any of the narrower minds on our guest list (no offense meant, it's just a reality of their condition). I also don't want the ceremony to be too much of anything. I want those who are watching to be able to see themselves and their partners, either was they were or as they hope to be, in our faces.

Sharing such a special moment with everyone's collective subconscious would be pretty nifty.

Just sayin'.

In any case, it's a great article and I recommend it.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

"Sharing such a special moment with everyone's collective subconscious would be pretty nifty."

Best line ever.

Cakelet said...

When my cousin in Puerto Rico got married, as part of the ceremony, the parents of the bride and groom came up to where they were standing side by side and draped a beautiful white blanket across both their shoulders. It was one of the most beautiful and moving things I have ever witnessed. I hope whatever you choose will resonate with you and your loved ones.